Cl Avenue De L'imperatrice 1
Tel: +33 5 59 41 12 34
Eugenia de Montijo, the Countess of Thebes, used to spend the summer in Biarritz as a child. In 1853, years later, she married who, as time went by, became Emperor Napoleon III, whom she invited to visit the seaside village. The last emperor of France also fell in love with Biarritz and decided to build a palace there for his wife.
Construction began in 1854 and in 1855 was inaugurated the summer residence of the French emperors. The palace received the name of “Ville Eugenie”, and there, during 16 years, the imperial couple went to spend the summer. Eight years after the death of the Emperor in 1873, Eugenia decided to sell it to the Bank of the Paris Union to become a Casino first, which operated under the name of Palais Biarritz, and later a hotel in 1893. The hotel, already with the name of Hôtel du Palais, was devastated by a fire in 1903, although it was restored immediately, by 1905, adding in that reconstruction a new wing so that the building had the shape of E. in honor of Eugenia de Montijo.
Up to this moment, the Hôtel du Palais is one of the most famous hotels in Biarritz and France, and the decor is reminiscent of the splendor of the imperial couple.
In 2006 it was completely renovated.